Thursday, June 10, 2010

Big Brothers

I just don't remember much about being with my brother when I was little. I remember him reading Rolling Stone magazine, riding in the back of his Ford Pinto and him getting into lots of trouble! Sandy (my 5 year old), however, seems joined at the hip with Griffin and Andrew. For the past week they have been playing non-stop with a box of blocks, cars, cardboard boxes, bikes and basketballs. Ever since I can remember, she has known all about their toys and tv shows. She has graduated with them from Rescue Heroes to Spiderman, from Star Wars to NFL and NBA. The other day she saw a funny commercial on tv and she said, without hesitation, "He just teleported!" So I'm on the offense for trying to teach and train her about how to be a young lady amidst all the testosterone. I have yet to find a way to stop her from relating all this boy knowledge to everyday situations. Case in point: We were at the pool a few days ago and I was talking to a mom. You may know a particular mom like this- one who seems to have it all together all the time, only lets her kids have the best foods and the best educational choices at all times. I used to really be intimidated and guilt-ridden after talking with moms like her- questioning all my mothering and life choices. I think I am a bit more relaxed now (can that really describe me?) and try not to play the comparison game. Anyway, Sandy went up to her and asked her last name. I had no clue why. Apparently, she has a son whose name sounds like "Dred" and Sandy, who has been exposed to the cultural aspects of certain NBA players and even an NBA character on a Wii game whose name is Dredlocks, picks up on this similarity. Now, I know some of you are probably wondering why in the world we have a NBA Wii game. All I can say in response to that is this: almost ten-year old Griffin earned enough money folding laundry, a nickel per piece, so he was allowed to buy the game and play with parental supervision. So, back to the mom at the pool. Sandy says to this mom, "Oh, I thought your last name was Locks- I thought you had a Dred Locks. We have him on our Wii." I was, needless to say, a bit mortified and wanted to run as fast as I could with two wet kids and a baby to the parking lot. The mother, obviously horrified at the thought said very scornfully "we don't have a Wii!" Another feather in the cap (or jewel in her crown?) of the perfect mom. As for me, I will again re-examine the important issues in Sandy's life and heart and in my parenting as well. But for now I am rejoicing that I can laugh at the scene in my head, be thankful that I am not keeping score, trust Him for the wisdon I need and truly delight that Sandy is so in touch with her brothers' worlds.

1 comment:

  1. That story is so hilarious. And one day Sandy will be well served for having spent so much time with her older brothers...it will pay off. And you need not worry, your children are great!

    ReplyDelete